This Italian Sausage soup is slightly sweet and creamy. It is filling and delicious. It is the perfect soup as the cooler weather starts to creep in. This soup will keep in the fridge for three days. Freeze leftovers for later use.
Italian Sausage Soup
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage I prefer the links.
- 5 slices bacon; chopped
- 1 medium onion; diced
- 3 cloves garlic; grated
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 large russet potatoes; peeled and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups half & half
- 3 cups of kale; chopped
- In a large pot, boil the sausage links until cooked through. Allow to cool slightly and then slice into bite-sized pieces. Discard the cooking water.
- In a large dutch oven, cook 5 slices of chopped bacon until the bacon begins to crisp. Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook until the onions are tender.
- Add the chicken stock and the water and bring to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the half & half and the sausage and heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, add the chopped kale.
If you like your soup a little spicier you could add mild or hot Italian sausage in place of the sweet sausage. You could also add a little crushed red pepper while cooking the onions.